Starbucks is switching to a drive-thru and delivery-only model for the next two weeks starting Saturday, as it continues to adjust to the evolving coronavirus outbreak.
The company said it is keeping select locations in and around hospitals and health care facilities, as well as licensed stores (the ones inside grocery stores like Target or Safeway) open.
The company had previously announced closing some stores and switching to a to-go model in response to the government calling for increased social distancing to help contain COVID-19.
In a letter to employees, Starbucks executive vice president and president of U.S. company-operated business Rossann Williams said employees will be paid for the next 30 days whether they go to stores or stay home. Likewise, the company also expanded catastrophe pay and says it will continue to offer mental health and sick pay benefits, as well as childcare support.
“The magnitude of managing through this situation is the single biggest challenge many of us have faced in our lifetime, and I am continually moved by your compassion for each other, our customers and our communities during this exceptionally difficult time,” Williams wrote in the letter. “With daily news from friends and family members getting laid off and businesses closing, we need one another more than ever. We need to be a different kind of company.”
Coronavirus and store closings:Why GameStop, Bed Bath & Beyond, Lowe’s, CVS, others are still open
Wait, someone’s hiring?:Amazon, Walmart are among companies adding workers during coronavirus crisis
Follow Josh Rivera on Twitter: @Josh1Rivera