The U.S. Environmental Protection Agency has released a list of disinfectants to protect against the spread of the coronavirus.
According to the EPA, products on the list have “qualified for use against COVID-19” through the agency’s Emerging Viral Pathogen program where manufacturers provide the EPA with data that “shows their products are effective against harder-to-kill viruses.”
Coronaviruses are what are called enveloped viruses, “meaning they are one of the easiest types of viruses to kill with the appropriate disinfectant product,” the EPA says.
“Using the correct disinfectant is an important part of preventing and reducing the spread of illnesses along with other critical aspects such as hand washing,” EPA Administrator Andrew Wheeler said in a news release. “EPA is providing this important information in a public and transparent manner on disinfectant products to help reduce the spread of COVID-19.”
Can’t find Purell or hand sanitizers? Here’s how to make it at home with vodka or rubbing alcohol
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention says for “disinfection, diluted household bleach solutions, alcohol solutions with at least 70% alcohol, and most common EPA-registered household disinfectants should be effective.”
The CDC also has posted a list of products with EPA-approved “emerging viral pathogens claims” from the American Chemistry Council Center for Biocide Chemistries. Many of the same products are on the list.
The EPA says consumers should follow the directions and pay “close attention to the contact time for the product on the treated surface.”
The EPA notes there may be additional disinfectants that meet the criteria that could be added to the list.
EPA list of registered disinfectants
Here are some of the registered disinfectants on the EPA’s list. Find the full here:
- Clorox Disinfecting Wipes
- Clorox Commercial Solutions
- Clorox Disinfecting Spray
- Clorox Multi-Surface Cleaner + Bleach
- Klercide 70/30
- Lysol Clean & Fresh Multi-Surface Cleaner
- Lysol Disinfectant Max Cover Mist
- Lysol Heavy-Duty Cleaner Disinfectant Concentrate
- Oxycide Daily Disinfectant Cleaner
- Peak Disinfectant Wipes
- Peroxide Multi Surface Cleaner and Disinfectant
- Peroxide Disinfectant and Glass Cleaner
- Purell Professional Surface Disinfectant Wipes
- Sani-Prime Germicidal Disposable Wipe
- Sani-Prime Germicidal Spray
Follow USA TODAY reporter Kelly Tyko on Twitter: @KellyTyko