Let San Francisco have the $15 avocado toast. Chipotle has a deal for the rest of us: free guac.
The fast-casual restaurant chain announced Monday that to celebrate the upcoming one-year anniversary of Chipotle Rewards, it is launching “Guac Mode” and will give away free guacamole and extras to current and new loyalty program members throughout 2020.
But to “unlock access to free guac rewards,” you have to be a member of the free program by Feb. 20.
Chris Brandt, Chipotle chief marketing officer, told USA TODAY that the program has 8.5 million members and is considered one of the fastest growing restaurant loyalty programs.
“Our fans absolutely love our fresh, handmade guac, especially when it’s not extra,” Brandt said in a statement. “It’s been an incredible first year of Chipotle Rewards and initiating Guac Mode – which gives our members free guac in February and extras all year long – is a perfect way to thank our loyal customers.”
McDonald’s Shamrock Shake is coming back:Here’s when you can get one and the new Oreo Shamrock McFlurry
Macy’s store closings map:First round of Macy’s closures closing soon: Is your location on the map?
The program has helped to grow transaction increases, and Chipotle CEO Brian Niccol said last week it’s expected to be a big driver in the future as the company gains more experience.
“While in 2019 we focused on member growth, in 2020 we will not only further increase enrollment, but more importantly, look to optimize the use of database marketing to incent behaviors.”
Chipotle ‘Guac Mode’ means free guac
Existing Chipotle Rewards members will automatically have access to Guac Mode and new members have to join by Feb. 20 to unlock Guac Mode at Chipotle.com/guacmode or texting “Guac Mode” to 888-222.
According to the Newport Beach, California-based company, when it activates Guac Mode in February, eligible Chipotle Rewards members will receive a reward for one free topping or side of guacamole with the purchase of a regular-priced entree.
A Guac Mode badge will appear in the My Rewards section of members’ accounts and will be available for a limited time only. Chipotle Rewards members will have at least 24 hours to redeem their Guac Mode reward, but it can vary by reward.
The Guac Mode reward can be redeemed at participating Chipotle restaurants and cannot be combined with other offers or promotions. It’s not valid on catering or orders on third-party delivery platforms.
Also every Sunday in February is Free Delivery Sunday. Get free delivery on all orders $10 or more online or with Chipotle’s app.
“This year, we’ll sharpen our focus on personalization and engagement, while continuing to drive new sign-ups through initiatives like Guac Mode,” Brandt told USA TODAY.
How does Chipotle Rewards work?
- To start earning free Chipotle, sign up for Chipotle Rewards in the chain’s mobile app or at Chipotle.com.
- To earn points at Chipotle restaurants, members need to scan their Digital Member Code from a mobile device.
- For every $1 spent in the restaurant, online, or in the app, earn 10 points. There are bonuses, like extra point days, that can help Chipotle Rewards members earn points faster as well as personalized offers. Also get a birthday freebie.
- A free entree requires 1,250 points and the reward is valid for any regular-priced entree item. It expires after 60 days and some restrictions apply.
- After joining the program get a reward for free chips and guac after your first purchase as a member of $5 or more.
Follow Kelly Tyko on Twitter: @KellyTyko